Mining Health and Safety Advisor - Denver
Recruiting Firm, Riderflex has been hired by our client, Thiess, to find their Health and Safety Advisor!
Industry: Mining Services
Title: Health and Safety Advisor
Location: Project in the Greater Denver area - Fly In Fly Out (FIFO)
Compensation: $75,000 - $90,000 USD
Thiess is an 85-year-old, enduring company! Started in Australia, today, Thiess is a $4 billion world-class, global organization specializing in mining services and technology. With 12,000 employees and growing, our workforce has the skills, experience, and resourcefulness to realize opportunities, respond to project challenges, and add value to clients’ needs. The USA is an important part of our future and we’re pleased to be building our business with its unique approach to the contract mining industry in Salt Lake City, Utah, and the surrounding Western States.
We prioritize an inclusive workplace through our diversity and inclusion vision – everyone matters always.
A culture of inclusion creates an environment where people can bring their best selves to work because they feel safe, empowered, and valued members of our team. This respect for differences in people, thoughts, skills, experiences, and backgrounds then drives excellence and innovation.
Our advocacy for diversity and inclusion is governed by a global strategy that focuses on gender equality, first nation peoples, cultural diversity, and an inclusive culture. To support real and sustainable change, this is brought to life by our annual country action plans.
We consider the cultural and physical environments we provide; implement training, development, and pathway programs; create employment opportunities, and build strategic partnerships. Thiess respects the history of Indigenous communities and the contributions their people make to society. We seek to foster authentic, long-term relationships with Indigenous people in the communities in which we operate.
Thiess is seeking Health and Safety Advisors (site) to support our mining team on our Project site near Denver, Colorado. The Health and Safety Advisor (HSE) will be a key role, working with the Project Manager, Operations Supervisors, Maintenance Supervisors, and Environmental and Engineering Group. Duties will include coordination of daily HSE functions and support activities, and input into the Thiess HSE data and incident management systems.
Works independently and collaboratively with HSE team members and other NA REGION leads in an autonomous capacity. Provides early warning to the REGION HSE Manager regarding process deficiencies or schedule slippage. Skilled in the use of computer programs and development of databases, spreadsheets, presentations, and HSE literature. Preferably has working familiarity with Thiess’s environmental, safety, and health processes and procedures.
Your main responsibilities as Health and Safety Advisor are:
- Reports to the Project Manager and receives support and direction from the NA REGION HSE Manager.
- Provides guidance, support, supervision, and personnel assigned to support the projects.
- Maintains relationships with internal clients (e.g., engineering, operations, and contracts) and customer and contractor/subcontractor representatives to coordinate the administration and implementation of HSE functions on projects and facilities.
- Maintains contact with project HSE personnel to keep them informed of HSE issues and to ensure adequate technical support.
- Develops and consolidates HSE weekly and monthly project report data for distribution
- Track deliverables, action items, and corrective actions across the project in Synergy (software)
- Develops HSE Reports with a high level of accuracy for distribution to NA REGION and project entities.
- Develops spreadsheets, workbooks, presentations, communications, and HSE informational-based literature.
- Recognized areas for improvement and makes recommendations to the Project Manager and Function HSE manager with sound proposals
- Coordinates with Project Manager to obtain approval on work release.
- Supports HSE Function by launching and promoting HSE initiatives and campaigns.
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of HSE, or equivalent. In lieu of a formal degree, relevant experience working in a similar role and responsibilities as HSE managerial role
- Incident investigation, 5whys and ICAM root cause analysis, or equivalent
- Advanced understanding of mining planning and execution.
- Experience in safety/health assessments/inspections during pre-stripping and mine development.
- Experience in developing and implementing safety/health awareness training programs.
- Highly skilled in oral and written communication
- Has a professional outlook and had the ability to produce work of a high-quality standard
- Knowledge of Thiess’s organization structure, functions, and administrative procedures
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Safety/health-related certifications from national/international accrediting organizations/associations
- MSHA blue card trainer certification
- Previous experience working in a similar role that is extremely advantageous
- Applies a very high level of attention to detail to all outputs
- Advanced knowledge and experience in the proficient use of Microsoft Office applications i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Familiar with MSHA, OSHA, EPA, NFPA, DOT regulations
- Familiar with ISOs 9001, 14001, 45001
- Familiar with NIOSH
- At Thiess we have a One HSE culture and want to ensure everyone is safe everyday: employees, families, and society. We are committed to our employees' health and wellness including the prevention of illness. Although optional, we have a preference that all Thiess employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 and other serious illnesses.
- Work schedule: 7 on / 7 off, rotating 12-hour shifts (days and nights)
- Fly In Fly Out (FIFO) – Preference for a candidate who lives near Denver, Colorado.
What we offer
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority. Our safety-first culture guides our overarching objective - to keep everyone safe every day
- A permanent position working directly for Thiess
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with project premiums and bonuses
- Comprehensive medical benefits including private health insurance with 100% premium coverage for the employees and competitively subsidized private health insurance for immediate family
- 401K retirement savings benefit with employer matching contributions
- Career development and opportunities locally, domestic within the US, and potentially globally
- Leave for all of life’s reasons
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Thiess is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures.
At Thiess we have a One HSE culture and want to ensure everyone is safe everyday: employees, families and society. We are committed to our employees' health and wellness including the prevention of illness. Although optional, we have a preference that all Thiess employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 and other serious illnesses.
About Recruiting Firm, Riderflex
Riderflex is a global recruiting and consulting firm. Our core purpose is to help create dynamic work environments for clients and candidates. We specialize in three core competencies; recruiting, consulting and candidate services. Our recruiting process includes vetting candidates through video interviews by current C-Level executives with over 30 years of experience. We recruit for all industries and functions, from the C-Suite to Manager level, nationwide. Riderflex brings your leadership to the next level with consulting services including Human Resources, Marketing, IT, Sales, Finance and Operations.
Follow our company page on LinkedIn so you never miss an update or current job opportunities!
Listen to the Riderflex Podcast - Career Advice and Job Interviewing Tips